4-H in Canada Insurance Overview

Please click here for full details.

Fact Sheets about 4-H Insurance Coverage

Effective September 1, 2011, the 4-H Manitoba Participant Accident Insurance has been increased to include “Buddy Insurance” for non-member guests invited to participate in an activity or event approved by and under the supervision of 4-H.

The Participant Personal Accident Insurance, also called Accidental Death & Dismemberment (or ADD) is the policy that “insures the participants of the policyholder, including volunteers working on behalf of the Insured, who are participating in a sanctioned activity approved by and under supervision of proper authority of the club, organization or policyholder and for which coverage has been declared.”

Fact Sheets summarizing the Accident Benefits provided are:

Accidental Death & Dismemberment (ADD) Insurance Fact Sheet
Commercial General Liability (CMP) Insurance Fact Sheet
Directors & Officers (DO) Insurance Fact Sheet.

Highlights of the PARTICIPANT PERSONAL INSURANCE (Accidental Death & Dismemberment): 4-H Manitoba Participant Personal Accident Insurance (“ADD”) covers participants who have an accident, on a no-fault basis, regardless of whether 4-H was negligent. The insurance is in effect if an accident happens and one of the following gets hurt:

  • Members,
  • Leaders/Volunteers/Staff
  • Non-member guests (buddy coverage). A “Buddy” is a non-registered guest, for example a friend or sibling of a registered 4-H member, who is invited to participate along with all the members in a 4-H activity or event approved by and under the supervision of 4-H.

** Note ** safety for all participants is always a priority so, for example, children under 8 should not be handling large animals. When in doubt about the appropriateness of an activity, please contact the Manitoba 4-H Council office.

However, as before, spectators are not covered by the Participant Accident Insurance. A spectator is a friend, family or other who is at an event to watch or cheer. So, if something gets out of control and a spectator is hurt (i.e. a horse gets spooked and runs through a crowd), the spectator can make a claim against 4-H Commercial General Liability policy which covers bodily injury and property damage to third parties.

Any incident involving 4-H should be reported promptly to the Manitoba 4-H Council office (leave a voice message after hours). Generally, the Head Leader ensures this information is recorded, regardless of whether the incident seems minor and perhaps not requiring further follow-up. (Manitoba provincial office will forward forms to the national office as needed).

For incidents with injury to people, complete and return to Manitoba 4-H Council office in Brandon: “Incident Report – CGL” (General liability) (pdf | doc)

For incidents with damage to property, complete and return to Manitoba 4-H Council office in Brandon: “Incident Report – Prop” (Property) (pdf | doc)

Watercraft Insurance

Following negotiations with the 4‑H national insurance provider (BFL) coverage for the use of water craft has been approved based on the following..

Liability limit has been established (with an equal annual aggregate limit) of $6,000,000 for owned and non-owned watercraft under 8m in length, subject to;

  1. Watercraft are less than 8 meters in length.
  2. All persons are required to wear life jackets while in the watercraft.
  3. All watercraft must contain;
  • a bailer
  • a buoyant throw / tow line
  • a signalling device (i.e. whistle & flashlight).

Please note that Whitewater and Ocean Exposure are excluded.

Council office still requires any group (Club to Club Exchanges), to provide a list of any activities they will be participating in which include watercraft. For those activities managed by third parties, the group leader will be required to solicit Certificates of Insurance from the company as well as proof of “Protection and Indemnity”. Liability limits should not be less than $2,000,000 ($5,000,000 or more if possible), and “Protection and Indemnity” should not be less than $350,000 per person.